Monday, January 30, 2012

Last week in January 2012

Sorry I'm late again.  I am overwhelmed and way to busy!  The son I told you that graduated is starting his job on February 6-th and this past weekend we did some apartment shopping.  Well basically we left and had to have an apartment so we can move him this week.  We don't know Pittsburgh or the surrounding areas at all... thank you for a GPS.  We ran all day on Saturday and finally arrived back home at 10 pm that night.  Then on Sunday I went to church, did the grocery shopping for the week and had to take same son to the ER.  He slipped in Walmart's parking lot and busted his face (cheek) open.  Can we say... I got nothing done!  So that is why I'm late in posting.  Next week will probably be more of the same as we are moving him into that apartment we found.  Hopefully then things will get back on track. 

So here it is... what we did.

We continued in our 3rd Reading book by doing the following...
We named the picture and found the -at, -an, or -ap word that went with
the picture.


We continued to learn about the Arctic and the animals of the Arctic.  Here is what we did.


Narwhal


We talked about the narwhal.  We sponge painted a narwhal and put the right
number of dots onto a narwhal.

Walrus


 We talked about the walrus and we made a paper piece walrus.  You can find the directions


And we got back to our State Study and learned all about Georgia.
We started our state study like we always do by coloring the cover of our book (it has an outline of the state and the state name that the children can color).  Then we found Georgia on the state map, learned about the capital, colored the state flag, and spelled/traced the state name.  Sorry to say I forgot to take pictures of this.

We then continued to learn about the state flower... the Cherokee Rose.  We colored a Cherokee Rose and then made one.  Seems some of my pictures have disappeared and I don't have pictures of what we did in our book... but below are the Cherokee Rose's we made.  We used tissue paper petals, construction paper leaves, and gold glitter glue to make these.

The state bird was our next lesson.  We talked about the Brown Thrasher, colored one in our books the way it is supposed to look, and then we waterpainted one to our likings.



We moved on to the state amphibian... the Green Treefrog.  We colored a green treefrog in our books and then we made a green treefrog out of paper plates.  And long behold... we have pictures of pages of our book!




Our frogs came from the idea here.

The Okefenokee Swamp is always interesting and I thought we would focus on the American Alligator.  We matched alligator pictures in our books and then waterpainted an alligotor.




 We then learned about the three P's of Georgia.  That would be peaches, peanuts, and pecans. 
We talked about how a peach grows and then made some delicious peach cobbler.



 For peanuts and pecans we did a spin and graph. I might add... one of there favorite things to do!


Stone Mountain was our next stop.  They all want to go see this!  We put together strip number puzzles of the mountain.
I made two different ones due to I just enrolled a few 2 year olds.

And lastly we talked about the state reptile... the gopher tortoise.  Here is what we did.

(They actually are sea turtles, but they looked close enough)

You can download my whole state book here.

I plan to share my learning activity boxes tomorrow.  I am finishing them up tonight.

I hope you enjoyed our week.
Best,
Rose



2 comments:

  1. I loved all these activities you did this week! That Walrus was especially cute. I am pinning this. Can't wait to try some of these out. :)

    ReplyDelete